Important Acronyms and Terms on Amazon - A Comprehensive List
It has become a common thing to use slangs and acronyms while talking. But nowadays this trend has prevailed everywhere including e-commerce. The online marketplaces have various terms (may be long but important) and therefore people find it easy to use an acronym. But sometimes, using these acronyms can be confusing and when you don’t know the actual meaning of the terms and acronyms you might not get the crux.
Talking about Amazon, it too has various important terms and Amazon sellers more often use these acronyms (from FBA to SWA) while discussing in community or seller forums. This sometimes can make you embarrassing and lack knowledge of such words can take you out of the important conversation. Therefore here we are presenting the important terms and the acronyms that are useful for the Amazon sellers.
Few Important Terms on Amazon:
- Brand Registry: Amazon safeguards its sellers with brand registry program from trademark or copyright violation.
- Fulfilment Fee: When you use FBA program, Amazon picks, packs and ships the items on behalf of you to your potential customers. For this Amazon incurs charges to you. This is what it called as its Fulfillment Fee.
- Bundle: Amazon allows its sellers to group up the items while selling. The bundle selling is more often used to attract the customers with the enticing combo offers and to vacant the stock and inventory.
- Net Profit: The profit for what you take all the hassles in online selling. After all expenses and investments taken out, the amount that has left is your net profit.
- CCC: While online sourcing of products, you can use this website to check the prices and rank of the products. This helps in buying the more popular products for your store.
- Keepa: Alike CCC, Keepa too can be used to know the prices and rank history of the products.
- Q1: 1st Quarter Of The Year - January - March
- Q2: 2nd Quarter Of The Year - April - June
- Q3: 3rd Quarter Of The Year - July - September
- Q4: 4th Quarter Of The Year - October - December - The last quarter of the year. More often the Amazon sellers make the BIGGEST sale of the year in this last quarter.
- Scoutify: Amazon has its app for iPhone users through which they can manage their accounts and orders directly through their iPhones.
- Wholesale: The wholesale selling allows the Amazon sellers to buy the products directly from manufacturer or brand owner and to resell it on Amazon. Here Amazon sellers buy the products in bulk and therefore they get 30%-50% discount on the retail price.
- Dropshipping: This is another important program for Amazon sellers that in which Amazon sellers do not take the responsibility of shipping rather manufacturer himself is responsible for shipping his products to the customers. Amazon sellers only take the orders of the items in dropshipping.
Important Acronyms are:
- AZ or AMZ: We know that you wouldn’t have missed this but just for starting, it stands for AMAZON.
- ABC: ABC stands for Amazon Boot Camp. It is the video course for the Amazon sellers starting FBA. This course comprises the Amazon’s FBA characteristics for its sellers with every nut and bolt opened. If you are new to Amazon, it will be worth to join this course. It will prove fruitful for you while growing your business on Amazon through FBA.
- ASIN: Amazon Standard Identification Number. A unique 10 letters or numbers that are essential for every product while listing on Amazon. ASIN is very useful while Inventory management with FBA. Also, in FBA calculator or to search product, you can use ASIN for effective results.
- ATES and SPN: On Amazon, ATES stands for Amazon Trained Ecommerce Specialists and SPN stands for Service provider Network. Amazon has an expert panes ATES in its SPN for assisting its sellers if they face any problems while selling on Amazon.
- BL: This is used for Big Lots. When the FBA sellers offer discounts on their store products they use the term BL.
- BB: It stands for Buy Box. All the Amazon sellers put their efforts to win Buy Box on Amazon. Winning buy box for any products entitles the seller as the featured seller and the buyer can have “one-click” purchase. This attracts more buyers and therefore every Amazon seller wishes to win buy Box on Amazon.
- BSR: It stands for Amazon's Best Sellers Ranking. This is the rank given by Amazon to every product depending on product’s sales volume. Every product in every category has BSR.
- COGS: It stands for Cost Of Goods Sold. An important term used for accounting and tax. It is the price that you pay for inventory items during FBA.
- CDN$: It is used for Canadian Dollar. If you are selling on Amazon at its Canada marketplace then this is the term you frequently get in touch with. Afterall, you are doing business to earn dollars!
- EAN: It stands for European Article Number. If you wish to sell in Europe, you will need this EAN for every product in your store. It is 13 digit long code. Also, sometimes it is known as IAN- International Article number.
- FB: No friends, this does not stand for Facebook here. On Amazon, FB stands for Amazon seller’s Feedback. While discussing in community or seller forum, Amazon seller uses this acronym.
- FBA: The most important term and more often used acronym is FBA i.e. Fulfillment by Amazon. In this, the Amazon sellers use Amazon’s inventory to keep their product and Amazon on their behalf pick, pack and ship products to the buyers.
- FBM: It stands for Fulfillment by Merchant. If you don’t want to use Amazon’s FBA program, you can choose FBM. Here, the Amazon sellers will be responsible for picking, packing and shipping the products to the buyers.
- FC: It stands for Fulfillment Centre. Amazon’s warehouse where the FBA sellers put their items to sell. From this fulfilment centre, Amazon ships the items to the buyer’s when you use FBA.
- MOQ: It stands for Minimum Order Quantity. The minimum number of orders that you need to purchase from the wholesale seller. Many times, when the Amazon seller sells any time in bulk, he mentions MOQ for that product on its store that is visible to buyers.
- PPC: It stands for Pay Per Click. When you use advertisement and sponsor ads for your products this term is more often used. This is the bid price you have to pay for the keywords you have selected when you run campaigns on Amazon. When a customer clicks the ads, the PPC gets deducted.
- RA: It stands for Retail Arbitrage. When you buy products through retail stores for selling online on Amazon.
- ROI: It stands for Return On Investment. The money you make after selling the items on Amazon.
- SKU and FNSKU: SKU stands for Stock Keeping Unit. It is the product identification number that every seller gives to his products to differentiate from each other. It is also known as FNSKU that stands for Fulfillment Network Stock Keeping Unit. It helps in identifying the product and its corresponding seller when Amazon has the same product of different sellers in its inventory. It helps in fulfilling the right order from the right seller.
- UPC: It stands for Universal Product Code. It is a product identifier barcode that is 12 digits long for those countries whose country code is (0) by default as US and Canada.
So, you have got many important terms on Amazon to know. Whether you are vendor central Seller or Central seller on Amazon, this will definitely help you in selling on Amazon. We would recommend that just print out this acronym list and read out it daily. You will be pro in selling on Amazon and even when anyone would discuss any important issues on Amazon, you can leave your impression with all your knowledge with all the Amazon solutions. Don’t hesitate in speaking to the community or Amazon seller forums.